The incredible story begins way back in 1924, when Fr. Luke O.F.M. Cap started a school in a tent with
just 13 students, in the diocese of Delhi-Simla. This school was named as St. Teresa’s High School and it
catered to the children of the employees of the Northern Railways and local children who were mostly
In 1939, Bishop Sylvester Mulligan O.F.M. Cap (diocese of Delhi-Simla) invited the Presentation Sisters
from Rawalpindi, now in Pakistan, to take over the management of the school. The three pioneering
sisters, Sr. Gabriel Monks, Sr. Michael Murray and Sr. Augustine McGurke accepted the call of the Divine
to fulfill Nano Nagle’s vision and mission of education, and to keep alive her dream and legacy and
arrived on 8 December in the same year. Taking courage and strength from Nano Nagle, a woman of
indomitable spirit and dedication, Presentation Sisters joined their endeavour. This led to the propitious
entry of the Presentation Sisters in Delhi. They were later joined by Sr. Rita, Sr. Dominic and Sr. Jerome.
Under the able guidance of Sr. Gabriel Monks, the new management took over the running of the school
from 14 January, 1939.
It was a period of great turmoil and struggle for the sisters as World War II was raging, so movement
and change was the order of the day. As early as 1940, Sr. Michael had a keen desire to do more than
classroom teaching. She opened a class for adult women, teaching shorthand and typing to Indian ladies,
while Sr. Gabriel took great interest in caring for the Anglo-Indian children and the people.
Sr. Gabriel Monks was the first principal of the school until 1945, a lady of great versatility and foresight
charged with compassion and dedication. She had a flair for music and was a wonderful musician with a
great sense of humour.
In 1945 the school had the second principal, Sr. Mary Sacred Heart, who served the school for six
The year 1947 saw the painful partition of India and Pakistan, and the sisters witnessed bloodshed in
the streets and felt threatened. A group of rioters entered the school premises and ordered the school to
be closed but the sisters with their serene demeanour dealt with them calmly. The school remained
closed for two weeks. Despite limited space and paucity of funds, the zeal of the sisters never diminished.
Another milestone was the establishment of St. Francis Xavier’s school in 1950, to cater to the Hindi-
In July 1963, Sr. Berchmans took over as the fifth Principal of the school. Under her leadership in 1964,
the school celebrated 25 years of the Presentation presence in Delhi-6, a landmark in the history of the
school. The Blessing of the Divine transcended all barriers and fostered goodwill among the community,
thus inspiring them to continue in the foot- steps of their foundress Nano Nagle.
The Silver Jubilee celebration was graced by the presence of Late Mrs Indira Gandhi, former Prime
Minister of India.
Sr. Veronica Mannion was the next Principal, from 1969 to 1974. A soft-spoken lady with a pleasant
personality, she worked for the betterment of the institution with her friendly and personal touch of
Sr. Bonaventure Morgan, a truly dedicated person, was appointed the seventh Principal in the summer
of 1974. She continued to serve the institution for twelve successful years until September 1986.
In 1976, the school Managing Committee decided to change the board of examination from Indian
School Certificate of Examination (ICSE) to Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE).
The year 1983 was eventful in many ways. Sr. Anselm was appointed the first Indian Superior of the
community—her foresight, planning, diligence and sense of mission to the less privileged members of
society was remarkable.
On the occasion of the bicentenary of the death of the Foundress Nano Nagle, the school put up a par
excellence ballet Deepshikha on 12-13 April 1984, at FICCI Auditorium, New Delhi. It delineated the life of
Nano Nagle, her struggles, her strength and courage in the face of ordeals.Sr. Marie, who believed in caring for the marginalised, took over as the principal of St. Francis Xavier
School from Sr. Anselm and she continued until the amalgamation of the two schools.
Then came the moment of great bliss on 1 April 1987, when St. Teresa’s High School and St. Francis
Xavier’s school merged as one under the banner of Presentation Convent Senior Secondary School,
Delhi-6, affiliated to CBSE. The credit goes to Sr. Anselm and Sr. Kathrina who with their grit and
determination strove to achieve this milestone. The ratification came into being during the tenure of the
first Indian Principal, Sr. Roselima D’Costa. Being a very humble and warm person, she justified her
significant role by tying loose ends and holding the chords firm. She has truly been blessed with ‘green
fingers’ as she not only nurtured lives but also the plants in the school campus.
As we move ahead on the sands of Golden Years, Sr. Gemma Pires took over as the ninth principal of
the school in 1990. She is true to her name—a ‘gem’ of a person, who with her kind and considerate
temperament was able to carry the torch forward successfully.
The story continued with the same enthusiasm, when Sr. Anice George took over as the principal from
1993 to 1998. A cheerful person always ready to venture out with new ideas, she founded the Inter-
school Nano Nagle English debate which addresses social issues which still continues.
Sr. Phyllis Pullickel took over as the next Principal in 1998. Under her dynamic leadership, the school
held a grand two-day event, ‘Jeevan Niranthar’ on 18-19 December 1999, to mark the finale of its
Diamond Jubilee Celebration, which was organised in collaboration with Anant Association for Nascent
Art and Natural Theatre. The occasion was graced by the then Chief Minister, Mrs. Shiela Dikshit; Union
Information & Broadcasting Minister, Shri Arun Jaitley; Member of Parliament (Lok Sabha), Shri Vijay
Goel; and Health Minister, Delhi Government, Dr. A.K. Walia.
The highlight of the event was based on contemporary issues such as sustainable development, gender
and social inequality, and also the challenge to traditional value system in a tech-savvy world.
In 2001, Presentation Convent Senior Secondary was the first school to be ISO certified for Quality
Management System (QMS) and Environmental Management System (EMS). Indeed a proud moment for
QMS policy aims at achieving excellence while imparting holistic education to the girl child. EMS
promotes sustainable development, growth and conservation of the environment. The school has a
precedence of being declared the lead Eco-club of NCR, Delhi, since 1997. Furthermore, in 2008, it
added another feather to its cap when it was certified as Green School by CSE (Centre for Science and
Environment, New Delhi).Sr. Rosamma Thomas had taken the baton from Sr. Phyllis in 2001, and served the institution until
2008. Dedicated and meticulous to the core, her professionalism is indeed remarkable!
Sr. Elsie Thomas was appointed Principal from July 2008 until the summer of May 2009. Her soft-
spoken and mellowed demeanour encouraged the staff members to give their best and made teaching a
In July 2009, the reign of the school was entrusted in the able hands of Sr. Regi Joseph and she
continues to serve. She imparts a Midas touch to everything undertaken by the school.
The year 2014 witnessed the glorious moment in the history of the school when it celebrated the
Platinum Jubilee of Presentation Presence, thus continuing their commitment to the exhaustive
development of each child within the ever-changing multicultural context of India and pursuing a culture of